Who We Are
PushBlack is the nation's largest media advocacy organization for Black Americans, currently serving 9 million people monthly across all platforms. We use the power of narrative, especially Black History, to educate and activate our subscribers to build their personal power and create lasting economic and political change.
In 2021, PushBlack grew to 6M subscribers on Facebook Messenger and 500K followers on Instagram. We also ran the nation’s largest GOTV campaign for Black Americans. In May 2020, we launched Black History Year, our critically-acclaimed podcast, which has received over 3M downloads. As the #1 trusted media source for millions of Black Americans, our growing media footprint empowers our audience and activates them to take actions in the best interest of the Black community, driving unprecedented levels of civic engagement.
What We’re Looking For
We're hiring an exceptionally detail-oriented and dedicated Copy Editor to be a supportive force to the Managing Editor and content team. The Copy Editor serves as a crucial line of defense for PushBlack stories in areas of editing and research, and play a critical role in ensuring the accuracy, clarity, and quality of our content. You will work closely with writers and editors to refine articles, fact-check information, and maintain our high editorial standards. This individual will also collaborate on projects for multiple platforms including, but not limited to, social media, podcasts, and video scripts.
The ideal candidate for this position is passionate and knowledgeable about Black history and has a keen eye for detail. They are committed to challenging and disrupting dynamics of white dominant culture in the workplace. This candidate is a highly motivated self-starter who has experience managing multiple editing projects, has excellent communication skills, and enjoys collaborating with a creative team.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Collaborate closely with the Managing Editor to maintain the highest editorial standards across all our platforms.
- Take the lead in copy editing and line editing to ensure our content is free from errors and adheres to our brand guidelines.
- Engage in thorough fact-checking and meticulous research to verify the accuracy of information and historical facts and maintain the highest level of credibility. Extend your expertise to assist in crafting compelling video scripts, podcast scripts, and presentation decks.
- Manage multiple tasks and meet tight deadlines while maintaining quality.
- Actively participate in content meetings, providing valuable input and suggestions to enhance the quality of our work.
- Work closely with writers to refine their work and maintain consistent editorial standards.
- Develop and maintain comprehensive content guidelines that align with our editorial mission and objectives.
- Regularly share updates, best practices, and resources related to writing guidelines and content quality improvement.
- Contribute to the development and execution of our editorial strategy.
- Collaborate with the Managing Editor on special editorial projects, ensuring timely completion and adherence to quality standards.
Skills + Experience
- 3 to 5 years of proven experience in copy editing and line editing.
- A deep understanding of grammar, punctuation, and style.
- Excellent communication, time management, and project management skills
- Strong research skills and the ability to fact-check with precision.
- Proficiency in editing video scripts, podcast scripts, and presentation decks.
- Exceptional attention to detail and an eye for maintaining consistency.
- Familiarity with digital media and the ability to adapt to evolving content platforms.
- Effective communication skills to collaborate with writers and the editorial team.
- Self-motivated and capable of working independently and meeting deadlines.
- Adept at juggling multiple projects and priorities effectively.
- Commitment to understanding Black history and its impact on Black liberation.
This Would Put You Over The Top
- Proficiency in Black History and/or Black Studies
- History or other social science research experience
- Expertise in journalism, nonfiction editing, or investigative research
- Understands that this work is in service of the organization, its audience, and the people who do the work of the organization
- Familiarity with G-Suite, Slack, Trello, and/or other online productivity tools
- Track record of fact checking, line editing, and copy editing for online media or nonprofit organization
- Remote work experience
- Familiarity with creative nonfiction subject matter
Currently, PushBlack can only consider candidates based in the United States for our job openings.
What We Offer Our Team
- Whether you love your couch or your desk, it doesn’t matter. We’re 100% Remote!
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurances
- Retirement savings account (401K) with tiered matching contributions
- Three weeks’ (15 PTO days) paid vacation in the first year of service; four weeks (20 PTO days) in subsequent years. Ten (10) Sick days and 3 Floating Holidays every year.
- Eight (8) Paid Holidays, including Juneteenth, as well as a Winter holiday for the last week of the year
- Annual taxable work-from-home stipend ($4,800)
- Annual professional development budget ($1,750 of which $500 can roll over each year)
- School loan repayment assistance support up to $200 monthly for undergraduate loans or up to $300 for graduate loans
- Parental Leave during new child’s first year
Let’s Talk About The Salary
- The salary range for this position is $57,995 - $71,810.