FLOWN is a mission-driven startup dedicated to enhancing focus, creativity, and fulfilment in work life.
With so many online and offline distractions, we are eroding our ability to focus at work, and the move to remote work driven by COVID has meant people have lost the workplace rituals and human connection that provided accountability, novelty, and meaning.
Using the science behind deep work and flow states, FLOWN has created a platform offering live focus sessions, led by charismatic facilitators, to deliver focus, accountability and community to distracted professionals everywhere.
FLOWN is led by serial entrepreneur Alicia Navarro, who founded content monetization platform Skimlinks (acquired by Connexity April 2021) and was Chair of proptech platform Yourkeys (acquired by Zoopla June 2021).
About the role
One of FLOWN's core values is a deep appreciation for good design and seamless flow, and its importance in imbuing moments with delight, beauty, ease, and clarity.
As our Product Designer, you won’t just shape our platform's aesthetic; you’ll directly influence our user’s ability to work effectively and enjoyably, and develop healthy habits that make their lives better. Your design will be at the heart of our mission, making the FLOWN brand synonymous with ease, beauty, and productivity.
We are particularly interested in a designer who has a keen interest or experience in behavioural science and habit formation. You will have the chance to apply these principles to create user interfaces that not only look great but also promote positive work habits and enhance user productivity.
Here's some of things you'll be responsible for:
- Lead the design function, shaping the visual and interactive identity of FLOWN.
- Collaborate closely with our Product Director and Founder to conceptualise, design, and refine the features of the FLOWN platform. Your input will be essential to our product's direction and evolution.
- Work with our Product Director to conduct discovery and user research, map out our use cases, user personas, and various customer journeys.
- Actively engage with our Tech team to ensure they have all the designs, specifications and assets needed and participate in acceptance testing to ensure high visual and UX standards.
- Design the user interface and user experience of all features and interactions on our website and platform.
- Create and rapidly iterate prototypes at various levels of fidelity, turning ideas and concepts from sketches and wireframes into development-ready specifications.
- Manage and enrich our platform design system and asset library.
- Ensure the FLOWN brand design is consistently represented across all the work we produce, from decks to documents to interface design to customer collateral.
- Stay abreast of competitors, other great visual brands, new trends, and best practices in order to bring this perspective into your rationale for features, design concepts and UX decisions.
We think you’ll need the following experience in order to succeed in the role:
- 3+ years of experience as a UI/UX designer.
- Experience with both visual/graphic design experience alongside wireframing & user flows.
- Highly proficient in Figma
- Exposure designing for B2C community products advantageous.
- Experience working within an early-stage business is preferable.
In addition, here are the core attributes we think you'll need to succeed in the role:
- Creative, passionate, a strong aesthetic, and sound judgement - you create unique, beautiful, clean and engaging designs. You are excited by our mission and use this passion to create user experiences that will drive value. You are the champion of what good looks like, and you use this skill to make wise empathetic decisions, and to guide others in the same way.
- Collaborative - you understand that product design touches upon all teams, as well as our members and hosts. You proactively and constructively share your opinions, plans and insights with team members, and you regularly solicit the views and needs of others - be they internal team members or users of FLOWN.
- Product mindset - you understand how to observe and extract information about what customers want from a product. You use these insights to evolve our product and its UI in a way that keeps them happy, engaged, and retained.
- Organised and resilient - you thrive in a fast-paced team, prioritise a busy workload, juggle multiple tasks, and work to quick-turnaround deadlines. You are unfazed when there's a lot on your plate or curveballs are thrown your way.
We want to practice what we preach, and build a company and team that works creatively and productively. Here are some of the benefits you'll gain from this role:
- Scope and influence - you're joining the founding team and will be involved in shaping our product, what we do, and how we work.
- A focus on deep work - we exist to support deep work among our members, so we support our staff in developing their own distraction-free deep work practice.
- A strong team - we are led by a proven CEO & Founder, and the rest of the team is equally highly experienced. We also have a high-calibre of investors with a good amount of member traction already.
- Fully dispersed, flexible working - we are a remote-first company, and we've got lots of perks, tools and processes to make sure that works for everyone. We encourage individuals to establish working hours that enable them to work as productively as possible, and we understand that everyone needs a work/life balance.
- Team socials - we get together regularly to collaborate and have fun. We also embed virtual activities and other surprises into our working days.
- Stock options - you’ll own a part of the company, so its success will be your own too.