New Voices is a leader in the Reproductive Justice movement. With nearly two decades of experience in identity-based and issue-based leadership development, community engagement and organizing, and state and federal-level policy advocacy —is the first Reproductive Justice organization in Pennsylvania and the only in Ohio. Our mission is to “Advocate for Black Women, femmes, and girls in Pennsylvania and Ohio through community organizing, leadership development, and voter engagement.” New Voices’ work is firmly rooted in the Reproductive Justice framework, and our programming reflects our mission. New Voices’ core issues include Voter Engagement, Abortion Access, and Environmental Justice.
About the Role:
The Community Organizer is a member of the Community Organizing and Engagement Team and is responsible for connecting Black women, femmes, girls, and folx to New Voices in Pennsylvania and Ohio and to the national Reproductive Justice movement. This position requires an outgoing, goal-focused, and passionate leader to expand our base of supporters to take action on our priority Reproductive Justice issues including Black maternal health, abortion access comprehensive sex education, environmental justice, and voter suppression. The Community Organizer mobilizes Black people of all genders and backgrounds, builds organizational visibility, and is dedicated to transforming society for the complete health and well-being of Black women, girls, femmes, and gender-expansive people in Pittsburgh.
What we are looking for:
- Build and expand a base of Reproductive Justice supporters through leadership development, community engagement, and maintaining relationships with partners, allies, and collaborators.
- Provide information and resources to constituents through on-the-ground base building, digital organizing, leadership development training, policy advocacy, culture change initiatives, and other activities.
- Participate in and coordinate local, state, and national organizing campaigns based on organizational issues, strategies, and objectives.
- Develop and manage community relief initiatives including but not limited to the Say Her Name Justice Fund and other mutual aid efforts.
- Implement effective measurement tools to gauge the efficiency and effectiveness of organizing campaigns, calls to action, and base-building strategies.
- Serve as primary organizing contact in response to media inquiries with the support of the External Affairs team.
- Represent New Voices for Reproductive Justice at community events, town halls, meetings, and coalition gatherings.
- Collaborate with programmatic team members to recruit participants for leadership development programs.
What you should have:
- A Bachelor's degree in a relevant field or an equivalent combination of experience and education is preferred.
- 2-3 years experience in community organizing, campaign coordination, and coalition-building required.
- 3 years experience working with Black women, girls, femmes, and folx.
- 2 years experience working in a non-profit, community-based, and/or advocacy organization.
- Three years experience working in any of the following areas: Social Justice, Reproductive Justice, Human Rights, Black Women's Health, Leadership Development, Community Organizing, Policy Advocacy, Culture Change, and/or Voter Engagement.
- Affirms the core principles of Reproductive Justice and Human Rights for Black women, femmes, girls & folx, women of color, and LGBTQIA+ people of color.
- Strategic, creative, resourceful, flexible, and innovative thinker
- Must be comfortable with public speaking and speaking to the media as needed.
- Must be able to effectively discuss Reproductive Justice and the health and well-being of Black women, femmes girls & folx with diverse audiences.
- Excellent oral and written and presentation skills coupled with experience in relationship-building and outstanding interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrates discipline and motivation in completing designated projects.
- Exhibits the ability to work independently and excellent time management skills
- Exhibits creativity, resourcefulness, and flexibility
- Demonstrates passion, enthusiasm, motivation, commitment, integrity, humor, optimism, and positivity
- Ability to inspire others to engage with New Voices
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and experience with database programs such as EveryAction or Bloomerang.
What you will get:
- Generous Paid Time Off
- 17 Paid Holidays in 2023 & Summer Fridays
- Medical, Dental, Vision Benefits, 401K and Life Insurance
- Remote working opportunities, the candidate must be based in Pittsburgh
- Opportunities for growth/career progression
- Being connected to a mission-driven organization that supports one of the country’s most imperative causes
- Exceptional work/life balance and amazing coworkers
- Salary range: $38,000 - $45,000 annually