Durham, NC or Remote
Adwerx is on the lookout for a Senior Engineer to join our team of developers distributed across North Carolina and elsewhere in the United States. In this role, you'll help us take our mature codebases and apply your skills for creating maintainable and efficient code to an organization that is focused on development best practices and standards. We're also on a path to make significant improvements to our product and this role will help shape the future of our business with the design of reliable systems. Finally, continue to help us deal with the rapid adoption of our product and make our Rails app the best it could possibly be.
The starting title for this experienced role will be based on tenure/experience/work history.
Adwerx is a place where you can thrive in our highly collaborative teams and where everyone is encouraged to contribute ideas across all levels of the organization.
Our engineering charter is centered around humility, respect and trust. We abide by the mantra “if it's not in version control, it doesn't exist”, strive to write documentation our peers will love, and always try to leave things better than we found it. We employ testing and continuous delivery for all our services and empower our developers to iterate and deploy as often as they need.
We host lunch and learns, conduct blameless post-mortems and retrospectives, and celebrate the work we do during our team gatherings. We also regularly recognize our peers with shout outs during department meetings and a fun badge program to recognize leaders in specific technical disciplines.
How we work
We apply the Agile/Scrum methodology to run the day to day projects at Adwerx and are heavily inspired by the “Shape Up” process with our product development process. In addition we:
- Utilize a mature CI/CD process and deploy to production many times a day.
- Have production-like QA environments with a culture of writing automated tests.
- Define department SLOs and Engineering KPIs to better understand how we work..
- Relentlessly strive for excellence with not only the products we build but also the health of our codebase and our developer ecosystem.
- Promote mentorship as an activity that everyone takes part in on our team.
Skills you should have:
- A long track record of taking the lead designing and developing web applications with large numbers of customers.
- Expert level knowledge working with Ruby on Rails or other object oriented programming languages.
- Expert level knowledge working with distributed systems.
- Experience with performance optimization of large datasets with knowledge of how to debug and resolve slow query performance in relational databases.
- Experience with React and Redux or another modern client side framework
- Strong belief in the importance of applying modern programming patterns in an MVC environment. Experience in service-oriented API architecture is a big plus.
- High attention to detail and pride in producing high-quality software.
- Passion for learning about and developing with new technologies, coupled with a passion about using the right tool for the job.
- Naturally drawn to collaboration, open to feedback, and working hard at conveying constructive feedback in a way that doesn't put others on the defensive.
- Flexibility to adapt quickly with our growing and ever-changing business.
- A test-driven mindset and commitment to refactoring and tuning.
In this individual contributor role, you will:
- Design and implement high quality and elegant SaaS software for desktop, mobile web, and REST APIs.
- Collaborate directly with product management, marketing, qa and design teams on new product features.
- Author architectural documents, conduct design meetings for your code, provide code review feedback for your peers and be an overall great collaborator with the other developers on the team.
- Help us scale our technology and build new enterprise features that will help power a fast growing portion of our business.
- Optimize our database so the enormous amount of data we have remains fast and scalable.
- Design and build out new interfaces for our responsive front end using React, Redux, and Bootstrap 4.
- Build tools to make our internal processes better and our development jobs easier.
- Collaborate closely with our infrastructure team and ensure that the products we build can be well supported by our growing cloud footprint.
- Be a part of the decision making process for every aspect of the company, not just technology. We encourage everyone to be plugged-in to the entire business and to chip in with ideas and action when they see opportunities to help. Creativity is encouraged, innovation is expected. We love big ideas and give credit where credit is due!
What You'll Get:
- Competitive salary and potential for equity.
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plan options (100% of basic plan premiums paid by company)
- 401(k) plan with a company match of up to 4%
- A collaborative work environment where you'll learn about and influence every aspect of the business
- The opportunity to work with and learn from some of the most talented leaders, developers, marketers and designers and advancement opportunities
- The ability to help define the foundational technology that will power the growth of our business
- An environment that fosters transparency and the company vision through monthly company updates, happy hours and full disclosure
- Flexible work scheduling