Great Expectations’ mission is to revolutionize the speed and integrity of data collaboration. Our software platform, Great Expectations is the leading open source tool for data testing, documentation, and profiling. Data teams all over the world use Great Expectations to instrument and understand their data and machine learning pipelines.
This is an exciting time at Great Expectations. Our open source community continues to grow rapidly while we’ll soon launch our first cloud offering. We are looking for a seasoned Engineering Manager to help us grow our team and capacity while we simultaneously advance the core Great Expectations open-source product and begin building a SaaS offering.
We are looking for someone who will:
- Partner with our product management team to lead the design of the Great Expectations core and SaaS feature roadmaps, and identify suitable team structures for future projects. Drive technical strategy through a prioritized technical roadmap built together with technical and product stakeholders.
- Lead several engineering “pods” and manage the day-to-day work of the pods through regular syncs and design reviews.
- Manage several engineers on the team, provide mentorship and career development, and own the hiring process to grow the team.
As part of Great Expectations, our Engineering Manager will also have opportunities to support the community and evangelize Great Expectations through conference talks, workshops, and blog posts.
Why join Great Expectations?
Glad you asked! We offer…
- A world class team, with deep roots in open source, cutting-edge software and data development backed by some of the best open source and data infrastructure investors in the industry: Index, CRV, and Root Ventures. We are actively cultivating a new cultural blend of excellent data engineering and AI-enabled technical workflows.
- A fast-growing company with lots of opportunity for learning and personal growth.
- A front-row seat to the rapid evolution of data science and engineering. Data work is going through a renaissance, and—as the leading provider of a key piece in the new technology ecosystem—Superconductive is right in the middle of it.
- A kind, curious, and open-minded company culture. We are always seeking ways to improve ourselves and our processes; we keep these conversations open to the whole team. We prioritize empowering our team members rather than a command and control hierarchy.
- A distributed team with lots of flexibility around timing and individual work preferences. We currently have teammates in Arizona, California, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Wisconsin, and Washington. We’d love to add your state.
- And of course, competitive compensation (base salary + equity package) with available Medical, Dental, Vision and 401K with 5% employer match.
The salary range for this role is $172,000-$253,000 plus equity. Our offers are made by taking into account the skill level, experience and location of the specific candidate. In addition to our compensation package, we offer a competitive suite of benefits.
- Minimum three (3) years of experience managing engineers and leading engineering teams
- Passion for building team culture and camaraderie as well as the product
- Work experience as a software engineer and/or architect, ideally working close to our tech stack (public cloud and a python base) and with B2B SaaS development, including frequent server-side iteration and experimentation; frequent deployments to production; and rapid development cycles. We want a technical leader.
- Demonstrated ability to estimate timelines, prioritize tasks, set and meet deadlines, and collaborate with a broader team
- Experience working with tools in the data engineering ecosystem; an understanding of the data quality challenges Great Expectations is addressing is a plus
- Robust grounding in principles of computer science and software design
How to Stand Out
Great engineering is more than just technical proficiency. We expect everyone to bring good ideas and habits, so that they can contribute to a collective culture of best practices. The best candidate will:
- Have data in your blood - the more curiosity you have about a wide variety of data from all walks of life, the better.
- Have technology in your heart, and a passion for continuous learning.
- Communicate well—in writing, in person, and on Slack.
- Commit to a culture of transparency, cooperation, and mutual support in the context of an entirely distributed team.
If you don’t think you meet all of the criteria but are still interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box - we’re looking for candidates that are particularly strong in a few areas, and have some interest and capabilities in others.
Great Expectations is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with Federal law and the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) 22.1800, the selected candidate will be required to provide documentation that will verify their identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
Please note that while the position is remote, we currently require applicants to be located in the United States and cannot offer visa sponsorship at this time.