At 3Box Labs
we are on a mission to usher in a new era for the web, where data is secure, interactions are trustworthy, and relationships are the basis of connection. We're enabling online experiences that are delightful and integrated while also bolstering privacy and freeing innovation. Our first product, Ceramic
, is the building block for composable data on the web and is powering thousands of the world's most ambitious applications.
We're backed by an incredible community and the best investors in the space (USV, Placeholder, Variant, Multicoin) who have deep conviction
in our mission. We are a lean, voraciously curious team from across the globe, with 5 years of expert remote work experience and frequent (and awesome) team retreats to spend time together. We have founded tech startups, written books, won product awards, authored patents, created Ethereum standards, and advised F100 CEOs.
Come help us tackle novel challenges and reinvent how data is managed online. Every
one of our roles is remote first (retreat often!). We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive team
because we cannot succeed in our mission without it. People that identify with groups traditionally underrepresented in tech are particularly encouraged to apply.
As a backend engineer, this person will be responsible for both feature work and stability improvements on ComposeDB, Ceramic’s decentralized graph database. This person will have a strong foundation in systems programming. Experience with database design or protocol design is a plus! This position reports to the Protocol Engineering Manager.
Success looks like …
- You have designed and delivered a key feature for ComposeDB in collaboration with the ComposeDB team, with consideration for scalability, and test coverage to ensure a high quality implementation within the first 3 months.
- You collaborated with cross-functional teams, including adoption and the community, to add a feature that improves DX within the first 6 months. Every feature or API you work on is clear, well-documented, and free of any major surprises. Overall, developers find ComposeDB easy to understand and build on.
- You have led a project journey by designing, implementing, and owning a project for the team within the first year.
- You have a deep understanding of ComposeDB and distributed systems within the first year.
- You brought a new viewpoint to engineering discussions and closely collaborate with the protocol engineering team.
You're likely a good fit if you have …
- 3+ years of professional development experience with a high performing organization
- Deep mastery of one or more strongly typed programming languages - Typescript, Go and Rust preferred
- Excellent attention to code quality, strong documentation, and scalability
- Ability to structure thinking, work and communication, breaking down big projects into achievable deliverables
- Built and supported infrastructure software used by other developers to run their production applications
- You are not afraid of a new and undefined challenge, with willingness to pull in others as needed and resourcefulness to make sure things get done. You are experienced designing new solutions from scratch.
Bonus Points for…
- Experience with highly distributed systems, especially with horizontal scaling, databases, IPFS, peer-to-peer systems, blockchains are a big plus
- Demonstrated experience in or interest in blockchain or Web3 technology
- Strong communication and collaboration skills around architecture trade-offs, and a desire to work as part of a team committed to a common goal
Salary range: $130-$160K depending on seniority and location. We understand everyone's risk preferences and life situation is different so we can offer flexibility here. Our goal is to extend a fair and exciting offer, while preserving fairness across the team.
Care: We work with passionate teammates committed to a shared purpose and support each other to work better and live well.
Act with intention: We are thoughtful doers who put as much into why and how we do something as what we do.
Go further, together: Our mission is too big for us alone. We cultivate trust, ask for help, and build momentum together.
Drive incredible impact: We aim for massive impact and we deliver.
Benefits and Perks
*Our benefits align with our values and operating model - we want everyone to help own and drive our purpose in their own way, with compensation and benefits to match.
*Generous equity for everyone
*Competitive salary that is fair across the globe
*Unlimited vacation and flexible working hours
*Budgets for learning, thought leadership, and community events
*In person team retreats twice a year