Nearmap is unique. A global technology company with incredible people; a market-leader with energy and spirit. Nearmap was named as one of the world’s 10 Most Innovative Companies of 2020 by Fast Company magazine – and we are growing!
What we do
We provide easy, instant access to high-resolution aerial imagery, city-scale 3D content, AI datasets and integrated geospatial tools, with wide-scale coverage across the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. At the core of it, we are a location content company, a visual analytics company, and a software as a service company. Innovation is weaved into our DNA.
The Senior Legal Counsel will be focused on negotiating, drafting and entering commercial and partnership,software, and data licensing arrangements and supporting our US alliance and commercial sales business. Where required, this role will support other regions where our group operates and work other legal and regulatory aspects for our corporate group. The candidate will be responsible for direct relationships with certain business leaders and sales verticals to help them achieve their projected targets.
- Support the North American partnership and sales organization;
- Draft, review and negotiate high volume of external-facing partnership, co-marketing, and revenue share contracts. The types of agreements will range from partnership agreements, SaaS licensing terms, marketing agreements and novel referral agreements.;
- Support and advise the partnership and commercial sales teams on deal structure and contract negotiations, including advising on legal risks and legal liabilities associated with contractual arrangements;
- Represent company’s interests and interface directly with opposing counsel and negotiation teams;
- Attend to legal-related external customer support requests and enquiries;
- Attend to legal-related requests and enquiries from the US partnership team;
- Update standard terms as needed for new product releases;
- Provide training to the US partnership team in understanding the legal position and risk exposure; and
- Help to collaborate on global legal projects lead by the Global General Counsel.
- JD degree or equivalent degree, with excellent academic credentials (graduate of a top-tier law school); and
- Admitted to the bar and in good standing or otherwise authorized to practice law such as being registered as an in-house in the state in which the position is located.
- 5 to 8 years legal experience, with a combination of in-house experience (ideally within a SaaS environment) and law firm transactional experience;
- Strong experience in drafting and negotiating complex partnership and commercial contracts, including but not limited to software licensing (SaaS - vendor side), licensing arrangements involving artificial intelligence, machine learning and machine derived attributes and data privacy;
- Ability to operate in a fast pace work environment and proven ability to address complex problems and business needs while reasonably balancing risk and not compromising on quality or work;
- Broad commercial and corporate law knowledge with a strong background of intellectual property law in a technology context, licensing, SaaS, revenue recognition and privacy;
- Experience negotiating or exposure to government (federal and local) contracts preferable; and
- Experience with CRM systems such as Salesforce and JIRA (preferable).
- Strong understanding of intellectual property issues as they apply to partnerships and the SaaS environment;
- Able to handle matters with minimal supervision;
- Able to work and act decisively in a fast-paced, time critical environment while balancing risks; comfortable managing and responding to messages quickly and balancing multiple deals at one time;
- Must have strong interpersonal communication skills to be an effective business partner;
- Must be able to and be comfortable giving commercially focused legal advice;
- High level of attention to detail;
- Ability to apply judgment to broaden influence;
- Well-developed oral and written communication skills; and
- Proficient in MS Office suite of products.
- Ability to provide commercially focused legal advice that is translated into simple to understand language;
- Have a strong history of successful cross-functional collaboration;
- Openness to adapting their practice in response to a fluid and expanding product roadmap; and
- Understanding of and keen interest in technology, including APIs, integrations or related products or features within the aerial imagery space.
Some of our benefits
Nearmap takes a holistic approach to our employees’ emotional, physical and financial wellness. Our current benefits include access to the Nearmap employee share scheme, short and long-term financial incentives, flexible working options, paid volunteer days, gym and phone rebates, and lots of development opportunities including hack-a-thons and pitch-fests.
Working at Nearmap
We move fast and work smart; often wearing multiple hats. We adapted to remote working with ease and are continually looking at ways to improve. We’re proud of our inclusive, supportive culture, and maintain a safe environment where everyone feels a sense of belonging and can be themselves.
If you can see yourself working at Nearmap and feel you have the right level of experience, we invite you to get in touch.
Watch our culture video below to find out more about what a day in the life at Nearmap looks like.
Nearmap does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruitment agencies and search firms. Please do not email or send unsolicited resumes to any Nearmap employee, location or address. Nearmap is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
In accordance with multi-state Pay Transparency Laws, the expected base salary range for this role is $170,000 to $185,000.