This position requires English language ability. JD is available in English only. 本ポジションは日本語JDの用意がありません。
Circulate all forms of value to unleash the potential in all people
"What can I do to help society thrive with the finite resources we have?" The Mercari marketplace app was born in 2013 out of this thought by our founder Shintaro Yamada as he traveled the world. We believe that by circulating all forms of value, not just physical things and money, we can create opportunities for anyone to realize their dreams and contribute to society and the people around them. Mercari aims to use technology to connect people all over the world and create a world where anyone can unleash their potential.For more information about Mercari Group’s mission, see Mercari's Culture Doc.
Equal Opportunity Hiring
Here at Mercari, we work to realize a world in which no one’s potential is limited by their background and everyone has the opportunity to freely create value. We also firmly believe that a mindset of Diversity & Inclusion is essential for us to achieve our mission.
This, of course, extends to our hiring practices as well. Mercari is committed to eliminating discrimination based on age, gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, physical disability, and other such factors so that anyone who shares our mission and values can join us, regardless of their background. For more details, please read our D&I Statement.
Team’s Mission / Work Responsibilities
Ensure we are using the cloud infrastructure effectively, eliminating unnecessary spending, and obtaining clear visibility of our usage.
(Learn more about Mercari's mission and values here.)
In this position, you will be responsible for proactively collaborating with stakeholders such as engineering, product, finance, and accounting teams to manage cloud resources, execute cost optimization methods, and ensure cloud spending and usage constructively support organizational growth.
Specific work responsibilities include the following:
- Design, develop and maintain scalable data analysis dashboards for cost and usage forecasting, cloud consumption metrics, and business scenario metrics
- Monitor cloud consumption, investigate, and escalate anomalies and unplanned spikes
- Provide weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual reports with recommendations to drive savings and efficiencies
- Analyze and produce meaningful insights that can inform strategic and operational decisions
- Support the budget and forecast process in managing consumption, showback, and savings in collaboration with stakeholders
Unique and Bold Challenges
- Mercari’s FinOps team plays a meaningful role in optimizing cloud spend and improving business agility. We develop a platform that allows our organization to make data-driven decisions, crafting maximum business value. Since the cloud infrastructure is used not only by Mercari JP but also by Merpay, Mercari US, and other group companies, any improvements could affect the performance of the entire organization.
- Shared understanding and belief in our company’s mission and values
- Experience in the public cloud environment (GCP and/or AWS)
- Experience building data visualization tools (Domo and/or Looker)
- Experience aggregating data using SQL
- Knowledge and understanding of statistics
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills in both technical and non-technical contexts
- FinOps certification
- Public cloud provider certification
- Knowledge and understanding of public cloud pricing schemes
- Knowledge of financial and accounting principles
- Experience in public cloud cost management projects in a larger organization
- Mercari interviews applicants to determine three things: enthusiasm toward Mercari’s mission, embodiment of our values, and culture fit. We believe having a shared belief in Mercari’s and Merpay’s missions and being able to embody our values to achieve those missions are very important parts of working at Mercari. In the interviews, we will ask questions to learn about your past experience and whether Mercari is the right place to demonstrate your skills.
- Telling us how you think you can utilize your past experience here at Mercari and what kind of opportunities to push yourself we can offer will help both sides get an understanding of whether the position is a good fit for you. We recommend asking about these points in your interviews.
- At Mercari, we recommend using the STAR method, an interview technique that helps you go into detail about your past actions. We want to get a thorough understanding of your experience and skills by asking interview questions about specific situations, tasks, actions, and results.
(See this page for details.)
- English: Independent (CEFR - B2)
- Japanese: Independent (CEFR - B2) preferred
* For details about CEFR, see here
- Probationary period: First 3 months after joining the company. (During this period your contract conditions will be the same as that of a permanent employee.)
- Smoking is prohibited within our offices
- Mercari has introduced a work style policy called “Your Choice.” Each member is free to choose whether they want to work in the office or work fully remote. *Exceptions made for certain kinds of work.
- Full flextime (no “core time” or “flex time”)
*Does not apply to all positions
- Two days off per week (as well as national holidays, New Year's break, etc.)
- Paid leave, congratulatory and bereavement leave, relax days, sick leave
- Annual salary paid in 12 monthly installments (including fixed overtime allowance)
- Based on skills, experience, and abilities
- Reviewed twice a year
- Complete health and social insurance
- Incentive program
- Support systems, including those that benefit the employee’s family members
*See this page for details.